Summary:You plug an external drive into your Windows computer, only to find that it is not working properly and displays a message: This device cannot start. (code 10). But don't worry, this article byiBoysoftexplains how to fix this error on Windows 10/11 computer in 10 effective solutions.
Discover the "This device cannot start. (code 10)"Error connecting aexternal hard driveto your computer and find that it is not working properly? You are in the right place. This error code occurs on different versions of Windows and this article will walk you through 10 solutions to rule this problem out.
Table of contents:
- 1. The background of "This device cannot start code 10"
- 2. How to fix this device cannot boot code 10 in Windows?
- 3. FAQ about this device can't boot code 10
The Background of This Device Cannot Start Code 10
Before we get into how to deal with error code 10 on a Windows computer, let's find out what it is and why it's appearing on your device.
First, the code 10 This device cannot start is related to removable devices such as a printer, aUSB memory, or more, and it usually happens when your device can't run it.
Error code 10 in Windows is usually displayed when the computer cannot run any connected devices. More specifically, it can appear after the Windows computer tries to install the driver for a new device, or it can cause CD drives, Bluetooth hardware, network adapters, high-definition audio drivers, and storage devices in it to become invisiblethis computerfrom your computer
In addition, you can also access theGenerallycard ofdevice administratorto check the failed operation status.
Thank you if you lift a finger to share the helpful article on your social platform to help more people!
How to Fix This Device Cannot Boot Code 10 in Windows?
With a basic understanding of Code 10, this error cannot start on the device. Now let's focus on how to fix it in Windows. This article will guide you through 10 specific solutions worked out one by one.
Solution 1 – Connect removal devices to another computer
Before trying professional solutions, let's rule out the connection problem first. You can attach peripherals to other computers to see if yours does the same. This device cannot start. (code 10) problem. If yes, then move on to the next solutions.
Solution 2 – Restart your computer
No matter what device error or error you are encountering, the easiest and most effective way is to restart your computer which will definitely get rid of the types of errors and issues. The first thing to do here is to perform a soft reset of the device. Do not forget to disconnect the extraction device and connect it carefully after restarting.
If restarting Windows does not exclude this device cannot be started. (Code 10) on your computer go to the following fixes.
Solution 3 – Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
The Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter is a native feature developed in Windows that finds and fixes device and hardware problems. Here I will show you how to run it on your computer:
- give clickIdeasand selectupdates and securityin your computer
- Choosesolve problemsNOupdates and securityTab and clickhardware and devices.
- When the Hardware and devices troubleshooter opens, clickNextto run it
- The troubleshooter will scan and report back to you. You can select one you want to fix and click on itNextto start the repair process.
For some reason, Microsoft removed this wonderful set of tools from the troubleshooter menu in Windows 10 and Windows 11, but you can still access them by running Command Prompt.
Step 1: Printvictory + Rkey to openRunmenu and enter the following command lines:
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
Step 2: Press the buttonenter/returnto open the troubleshooter and clickNextto find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
Solution 4 – Get the latest device driver changes
If your computer still shows the error, you should try to remember the last changes made to the device driver. Follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Disconnect all external drives from your PC.
Step 2 - Roll back the device driver on your Windows device.
- Right-click on the Windows menu and selectdevice administratorno suspense menu
- Locate the device for which you want to roll back the driver.
- Click the down arrow on the left to expand the hardware menu.
- Right-click on the selected device driver and select itCharacteristicsno context menu.
- I go toConductorinstructions continueCharacteristicsSection.
- locate orreversing regulatorand click on it to continue.
If Driver Rollback is grayed out or disabled, there are no options to run it. If so, you can opt for this solution and focus on others.
Solution 5 – Uninstall the device from the computer system
You can also completely uninstall the device from Windows system to fix error code 10 status on external hard drive.
- Throwdevice administratoron your Windows computer.
- Locate the problematic drive and right-click to select the drive.CharacteristicsPossibility.
- Go to the Controller tab and clickUninstall devicein the main window.
- When the process is complete, restart your computer.
When Windows restarts, it should install generic drivers for some devices like mice and keyboards. However, you will almost certainly need to manually reinstall manufacturer-specific drivers like gaming mice.
Solution 6 – Update the device driver
An outdated driver will surely bring some problems, such as: B. Status This device cannot start code 10, so we recommend you to update your device driver quickly.
- strainVictory + Xkeys together and selectdevice administratorno suspense menu
- locate orUniversal Serial Bus Controlleroption and expand the menu.
- ChooseUpdate driver softwarePopup-Listenoption.
- don't touchAutomatically search for updated driver softwarePossibility.
These actions will cause your computer to check for any available updates and update the old device driver automatically.
Solution 7 – Update the Windows operating system
A Windows operating system update can fix error code status 10 efficiently because an update always fixes unknown errors, improves computer security and improves user experience. Carrying out a Windows operating system upgrade job is never as complex as your imagination. Follow the prompts to see if an update is available on your computer.
- click noBeginmenu and go toIdeasEyelash.
- click noupdates and securityOption anIdeasEyelash.
- ChooseWindows Updatein the left sidebar ofIdeasand then tapCheck for updatesin the request window.
- You may see a new window telling you that the updates have started and a progress bar reminding you of the time left.
- Follow the prompts to restart your computer when prompted and wait for the whole process to complete.
Solution 8 – Perform System Restore
Don't be frustrated if all the above fixes don't get rid of error code 10 and insist on doing a system restore. System restore is an old but effective method to fix the error code “This device cannot start”. Follow the instructions to perform a system restore:
- Save all your files to avoid data loss during the recovery process.
- Boot your system withWindows-Installationsmedienand clickrepair your computer.
- Choose the language you usually use and clickNextContinue.
- give clickexpanded optionsNOsolve problemsmain window.
- Choosesystem recoveryNOexpanded optionsEyelash.
- You now need to select the restore point. Once that's done, clickNext.
- a seeConfirm your restore pointclick on the windowconclude.
- If a window asks "Once System Restore has started, it cannot be stopped. Do you want to continue?” clickSim.
- When all these actions are performed, your device will be restored to the selected point.
Solution 9 – Repair Corrupted Registry Entries Manually
Registry Editor contains many important system files on your computer. It works if you want Windows to automatically scan Microsoft Defender USB drives and fix error code 10 issues.
If you find that this device cannot start. Code 10 status allows you to delete some registry values related to filter drivers. Registry values work between Windows and hardware, and you can repair corrupted registry entities to fix error code 10. Here I will show you how to remove UpperFilters and LowerFilters:
Step 1 - Locate the relevant registry entries on your computer
- Pressvictory + Rto open theRundialog box and type regedit to startRegistry Editor.
- Copy and paste the path below into the navigation panel in the main window.Registry Editorto the destination.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
- Locateclassroomand expand it, then you can see many subfolders and all theseGUIDshow different types of hardware nodevice administrator.
Step 2 - Find out the value of the hardware in your computer
- play thatdevice administratorand locate the device that says This device cannot start. (code 1) state.
- Double-click or right-click the problematic device and go todetailsEyelash.
- find itPropertyframe and change it toclass leader.
- So you see a sequence of numbers and letters in theValentinaSection.
- Copy orValuesinformation and back toRegistry Editor.
Step 3 - Remove UpperFilters and LowerFilters
- strainControl + Fchaves e cole oValuesInformation you copy to search the appropriate folder.
- Open the correct folder and look for theobere Filterjlower filters. You can only find one of them and be good. If you don't see either, make sure you got the right one.GUID. If you are sure of itGUIDis correct and still doesn't find UpperFilters or LowerFilters, this method won't work for you.
- Right click onobere FilterÖlower filtersand clickExtinguish.
- Reboot the PC and check if the hardware is working properly.
Some software may not work after removal because you have already used these devices. Therefore, reinstalling the software is enough to solve it.
Solution 10 – Call a professional expert for help
If you have tried all the methods mentioned in the post while the drive error code 10 status is still there. Take a break and ask an expert for professional help while the Microsoft support team or your computer manufacturer is doing fine.
This device cannot start. (Code 10) The state of a peripheral really confuses you. You can try the methods mentioned in this article to get rid of error code 10 on your computer. If you've tried all the methods in the post and don't rule it out, better give up and call a professional.
For more error code tutorials see:
-  How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070002
- How to Fix Error Code 43 in Windows 7/8/10/11?
Don't forget to click the share button below to share this informative post with more people!
FAQ This device cannot start code 10
Q What causes this device to not boot code 10?
Generally, this error code is caused by outdated or corrupted drivers.
Q What does "This device cannot boot code 10" mean on my computer?
Error code 10 is mainly related to removable media attached to your computer. This means that Windows cannot properly run a piece of hardware such as a printer or USB drive.